Boomer Gallery, London, 'Dreams and Nightmares'

This space was a new experience for me and though I wasn’t there in person I did get a cache of photos highlighting what happened on the opening.

One of my works ‘Wind chimes’ was hung a bit high (see image below) which is suboptimal as it contains a sonnet that really has to be read in order for the artwork to be properly experienced.


Apart from this it was a good location near the drinks table. Some people (see photos below) found the work and must’ve commented on it. Great to have so many shots to select from.


The woman in the green-and-tan jacket in the above image seems to have singled out ‘Wind chimes’ for special mention.


The woman with black hair next to the wall in the image above also seems to have found ‘Wind chimes’ interesting.

I found some works more promising than others. There seems to have been a good deal of work with a pedestrian artistic vision but the paramontage-like works below – the ones with text as well as images – naturally caught my eye. They look sort of like something from a church service (left) or a glossy magazine (right).


I found the photo below intriguing.


Staged at night, it looks like something out of an arthouse movie of the eighties. Peter Greenaway perhaps?

My ‘Social animals’ was outgunned by the fascinating painting of three women hiding their breasts (see below). It’s a pretty extraordinary painting and I quite like it.


Another interesting work (below) also features female breasts, this time as a photograph. The brightly coloured illustration in the frame next door is also striking.


More bright colours were used in a sort of fantasy canvas (see below) with what appear to be female vampires.


I seem to be focusing on depictions of women because they also feature in another curious photo (see below) that also contains something like a piece of furniture.


Personally I like the higgledy-piggledy look of the space, I don’t have a problem with things butting up one against the other. When they are hung like this you get strange concurrences that can add meaning to a work. I do wish Boomer Gallery had taken a little bit more care in hanging ‘Wind chimes’ however. For my next show in London there won’t be paramontages but instead combines, which also use photographs but without the poems.

Photos kindly supplied by Boomer Gallery.

Comments