'Light interactions' show by Bernadette Smith

Before Bernadette Smith’s show opening at Strathfield Library I dropped off some kitchenware for Ukrainian refugees. The church where this took place was close to the library so it was handy and the traffic wasn’t so bad. Apart from paying taxes, this act permitted me to do something against Putin.

On a less bellicose note, Smith’s photos of light refracted in glass panels is delightful and I recommend anyone to go out to Homebush to take a look. I met Mark there (see photo) having driven with Bronwen from the eastern suburbs.

I also talked about Smith’s photos with a photographer named George whom I’d invited, and learned a lot in a short time. Like the last Smith show I’d gone to, the ‘Light interactions’ collection exposes the inherent abstract qualities of lived experience, I guess in a way that readers of Claude Simon would be familiar with. The camera allows us to slow down perception, and to stop it at a relevant point, so that something enduring can be salvaged from stray moments of existence.

Comments