National Art School Grad Show

The crowds were ginormous possibly for the first time in years (see pic below) and the art was entertaining.

With Devina and Sophie and Peter I walked around the school taking in all the successes, the failures, and the plain ordinary. What a feast for tired eyes! Here’s Devina in front of a photo that caught her attention.


I took a selfie in front of another photo by the same artist (see below).


Like these, some of the works on display pushed the boundaries in a topical sense. It’s not every day you see a photo on TV or in the street that resembles these, although drag queens seem to be getting more play in recent years (see the Smiths Crisps ad with the bear).


In the photo above that Devina took with her phone I’m talking with animation about a landscape painting in front of which we met Chris, who reads poetry as well as studying how to make art.


In the above photo Sophie and I are in front of a gorgeous orange work that (I think) was titled ‘The Races’ and which shows the feet of patrons as they watch horses run around a track. I thought it was very funny as well as loving the warm colours of the piece.

After we saw all the galleries we went to Stanley Street and had some Thai food, then popped into Bill and Tony’s for coffee with Christine, Yianni and Steven, who I knew.

Comments

  1. I always enjoy seeing the standard of art school graduates. It has been a tough few years for them and I feel it showed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment