Twenty Twenty Six summer show

I hadn’t been on O’Brien Street for a long time when I ventured with Sophie down to Twenty Twenty Six Gallery’s premises for a show opening. We found a park nearby and strolled in when not many people had arrived. The space is large so even later when more people were there it wasn’t crowded.

‘Mandala I’ by Minka Gillian caught my eye partly because I knew this artist from social media, but it was good to see her work again, I remember seeing one of her paintings at the National Art School once.

Sophie and I and a tall man with a hat on stood talking for a while about HENRYK’s concrete splodges (see below). I asked the gallerist about them and she said they each weigh about five kilos, so not excessive, though they look much heavier.


We were self-consciously surprised by how much conversation we were able to extract from looking at these sculptures, with their subtle colour gradations and rough texture.

Among other works were paintings of Bondi in a delicate realistic manner reminiscent of Geoffrey Smart and paintings by the head of the National Art School, whose name is Alderton. I enjoyed looking at his contemporary portrayals of the sky.

Comments