Nathan Hughes - 'Absurd Frontier', Scratch Art Space

Last night Yianni and I popped out to see a show in Surry Hills but it turned out to be a dining event not an opening. We did a quick search in the street and I came up with a show in Marrickville. Once we decided that we could get there in less then half an hour we jumped in the car and headed off.

The parking in Marrickville is horrendous but eventually I found a space across the street from the gallery.

It was so strange to then bump into my old framer Jochen Letsch. Honestly I hadn't seen him for about 15 years. He used to have a studio in Annandale. I could always rely on good work. He sold that business and moved on to other things. Now he says he's about to open the Brisbane office of a major conservator.

I quite liked Hughes' works but they seemed a bit under considered upon second thought. I did respond positively to the poppey vibe, the use of text, and the sort of outback aesthetic.

Comments