Facing modernity - Shepparton Art Museum
This collection has been donated to a New Zealand gallery and is on loan in Victoria. The donors are an American couple Julian and Josie Robertson.
This is a diverse and amazing collection. The above painting is by Albert Dubois-Pillet, a painter I have never heard of. The painting below is a Gauguin. It shows a cow in a field.
The painting below is a lovely colourful work by Derain.
The painting below is by Braque.
The sculpture below is a torse of the Rock Drill by Jacob Epstein, a famous work of the period. This is dated 1913-15.
The painting below is by George Marcoussis, 'Shell Fish, Zither and Ace of Hearts'.
So you see there are known and unusual names in the collection. The following painting by Henri Hayden is also an unknown for me. I mean obviously it is Cubist, but it is not as technically competent as some other Subist works. I still enjoyed seeing it. Often seeing works by second tier artists within the scope of a particular movement is valuable.
The following Hans Hoffman (1935) was a revelation, I just kept looking and looking.
Then this really beautiful work by a man whose name I had nver heard, Ivon Hitchens (below).
The following Picasso is from 1951, just absolutely amazing to look at. Actually it is quite large, most Picassos I have seen are smaller. Most not all, mind you.
The following work by Frances Hodgkins was great fun to be with.
There was also a Frankenthaler but for msome reason I neglected to take a photo of it. I drove down to Shepparton, a town I have never seen before. The local supermarket is well supplied so I had good food to eat. Shepparton is quite an unusual town, very modern and sort of resembling a Supa Canta, except strung out along the streets and not under one roof. Shops for furniture, hardware etc in long rown down the main street. But then they have this amazing art gallery.











Comments
Post a Comment