Edward Inchbold - Hazelhurst Art Centre

 I went to see this show of painterly works in July with a friend. It is a public gallery near Sutherland. Inchbold uses lots of paint and basically just areas of colour to achieve his effects. The titles are strange and unsettling, like 'Mango Flesh Identikit' which is the show name and is some sort of critique of consumer culture possibly.


I wuite liked some of his works, such as the following painting, which features signature brown and a sort of rich abandon.

It's not always brown, as the following painting shows. 

He also showed some drawings, but where the colour is missing thre is a kind of structural element absent if you know what I mean. I mean colour is Inchbold's main resource.

There is something like Philip Guston in these black and white drawings, but that may not be an analogy that sits well with everyone. I think there is also something 80s about Inchbold, partiocularly the works of Peter Booth, whose oeuvre has pretty much disappeared nowadays. Perhaps it is time for a comeback.

Comments