Curator's talk at Windsor for Mark Dober show

On Wed I drove out to Windsor to the Hawkesbury Regional Gallery for a curator’s talk about enormous watercolours Victorian artist Mark Dober made on a residency in New South Wales.

I felt a bit out of place due to my yellow shoes and black T-shirt, but everything went according to plan and I learned a good deal about Mark’s residency and the history of these fantastic works. I’ve seen them on Facebook before but in real life they’re quite different, great big vistas you almost fall into.

Mark makes them in the field but I went away wanting more information on his process because it seems almost impossible to take so many sheets of paper out into the countryside and you imagine that it must take many days in the same spot to complete all of them.

In short this is a wonderful show. I guess that most collectors would struggle to find a space big enough to accommodate one of these artworks, but perhaps the artist also makes smaller ones for commercial sale. I look forward to finding out more one day.

Comments

  1. looks like you were not the only person there wearing a black T-shirt

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment