Tom Polo show Roslyn Oxley9

Thinking to spend time in the CBD I caught the bus to Roslyn Oxley9 in Paddington, actually I got the train to Museum and walked down Burton Street. I made a mistake and went to the wrong place so used my phone's direction finder to locate the gallery.


Arriving early before the crowds honestly started up their clamour I spent time with the paintings (see above) which are large and colourful. I met up with artist Christine Dean and we headed out to have food in Darlinghurst at around 7pm. Simon Kahn from the group had just arrived at the gallery with his friend so didn't join us.


I rather liked Polo's work though I wasn't sure precisely what it is about. Christine and I discussed it over a Thai meal (I just had tom yum kha, Christine had a laksa). Actually I sort of preferred Sarah Contos' work hanging in the gallery around the corner from the main room.


Contos' drawing is more regularly figurative. She uses cinema as a metaphor while Polo relies more on the painterly materials. I had to look up "Flashe" which is one of the media he uses in his work, it's a vinyl gouache and I presume is what he uses for the background in his paintings.

At the end of the evening I got a train at Kings Cross station, just jumping on as the doors closed. At Redfern I was equally lucky nabbing a bus as I got to the stop.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the review and photos. Travel info to and from the gallery makes a nice ‘frame’ for the aesthetic experience and makes the story of your outing more complete. Now that I have seen the paintings in your post I agree about the squiggly quality of his drawing. Miro’s squiggles are much more graceful. Would be nice o have a photo of the Conton’s work for comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeh I do love Polo's colours they're so lively, like a celebration, but preferred Contos' drawing. She seems to be more competent, I'm not sure if Polo draws like this because he wants to or because that's all he can do. There's a mystery in everything, like in a crime drama ....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment