Genevieve Harnett show by Damien Minton

On Tuesday night I caught the bus to Redfern to visite Damien Minton's gallery in Darlington.

The small collages are colourful and delicate with a concealed power of design running through them like a river. I learned that Harnett's last show of such works was in Japan, and I talked with Virginia (who I met at the gallery) about Japanese love of paper.

Back in 1982 I was staying with a Japanese family in Kyoto who ran a paper shop, everything on sale was made of paper. I don't know if the family still runs the shop but knowing the Japanese it's highly likely.

Harnett's use of paper is clever and compelling, with a fun sense of colour and a serious intent, I'm not sure what her ultimate message is but I enjoyed the show very much. When talking with Virginia I learned that Zuza Zochowski will be showing at the gallery later in the year and made a promise to myself to be there for that as well.

Comments