‘Equinox’ Liverpool Street Gallery

I jumped on the wrong bus and had to change to a train then get another bus because I was in a hurry and not paying attention, but in the end I got to Liverpool Street Gallery after 5pm on Thursday.

In the background behind the woman standing you can see Dick Watkins’ ‘Bird’. I think this artist was at the show, or at least an elderly man made eye contact with me then put down his beer and left. Noone makes introductions at art show openings. I have one work by Watkins and like his style.

Next to it, the pink painting on the wall behind the standing man is Lisa Patroni’s acrylic on canvas untitled painting ‘XXX’ which up a bit closer looks like a rendition of a lower torso seen from behind. You can just about make out an outline in a darker shade of pink.

I really liked Steven Harvey’s ‘New Guinea Snow’ which is hanging to the left behind the woman in the photo above. It’s cut with an implement to make a rough surface but the colours are wonderful, rich and expressive. It really looks like snow though I guess there is no snow in New Guinea.

I also liked Virginia Coventry’s ‘Step’ which is an abstract work using acrylic, vinyl and metallic pigments on linen. The muted colours go with other items in this show. I wasn’t quite sure where the show’s title came from, it sounded to me like a distinctive electronic music album of the 70s that I used to listen to by Jean Michel Jarre. Perhaps that was the reference, perhaps not.


Comments