Sam James show by Damien Minton

On Tuesday I went down to Shaffer Gallery in Darlington to meet with Virginia to see this show by photographer Sam James. James works at my print shop Pixel Perfect so I've meet him before and really wanted to see his photos.

They're very personal, intimate shots of the city. When I spoke with James on the night he noted how many of the plant photos were taken during Covid lockdowns. I liked the way he alternated shots of the natural world with photos of friends. He calls the work a "personal atlas" as you really feel as though you are with him as he wanders round the city.

The show was well-attended and created a nice stir in the gallery, everyone including friends and family mingling in the small room. Damien got up as usual (see photo above) to say a few words. James is standing next to him on the step.

Comments