Late Aug visit to Art Gallery of New South Wales

In late August I went to the Art Gallery of New South Wales with Ming, a friend, and we looked at the paintings. I was particularly struck by Erica McGilchrist’s 1971 ‘Mandala for my mother and father’ which was donated by Patrick White, the novelist who won the Nobel Prize in Literature.

One of White’s novels, in fact one of my favourites, is ‘The Solid Mandala’ and this painting can be seen as just that, a solid mandala as opposed to an ethereal one.

Down in Sydney Modern, which seems like a gallery designed to celebrate the beauty of Sydney Harbour (not surprising when you think of the disaster of Tokyo Bay with its docks and refineries), they’d changed a lot of the works, so I got to see Sancintya Mohini Simpson’s ‘The fire’ which was made in 2022. I picked it out to feature because like some of my works it’s made in four parts.


I wonder how they attach this work to the wall, mine are framed in the traditional style with a box around the outside holding everything in.

Comments