Esag at a show opening at Nanda Hobbs

Man-o-war, octopus, slippery things with no scientific name that live in rockpools, such are the subjects of Dee Smart’s ‘Suspended embrace’ exhibition in Chippendale, which was well received. Almost all of the pieces had red stickers on them, but more importantly the room was full of people, many of whom are supporters of the artist.

I was there with group participant Bronwen (see pic) and we discussed the sinuous lines, intricate fills, and careful drips and splashes of the watercolours. Smart has conjured up a world evocative with memories of childhood – exploring on the beach, finding unexpected things washed up on the shore, “look it’s a shark’s egg!” – by reaching back in time to parts of her own life that otherwise would’ve disappeared.

It was not raining but rain threatened to arrive, and Bronwen and I both managed to catch our buses at precisely the same time on the way home. I carried with me feelings brought up by my own childhood, the beachcombing, the rare finds of glass and plastic, the tiny shells all in their subtle colours of green and brown. I’d gone back by looking forward.

Comments