Genevieve Harnett show opening at Damien Minton's new Waterloo space

Yesterday was busy in the afternoon as I had an appointment in North Sydney but then made my way on the entertaining (it’s like a Disney Land ride) light rail to Waterloo and Damien Minton’s new space on Botany Road.

I spoke with Virginia (who I met for the first time on the day) and Bernadette Smith, the artist, popped in to join us in praising the sweet little paintings. This is me in front of ‘Flamingo cottage and truck’, which was my favourite as I like paintings of cars and have several in my own collection to enjoy.

The room was very full even for Damien’s first show in the space, I didn’t have any trouble finding it though I’d never visited his new address before.

People milled around and looked at Harnett’s fascinating studies made after a trip to Tasmania’s Bruny Island. The pictures are made in layers using paint on transparent vinyl or acrylic, at least some sort of sheet of see-through material, in all on them the brushstrokes visible and in many (those with flowers) daubs of colour on the top surface making bright highlights.

I spoked about public transport with the artist’s father, who like me was wearing a yellow jumper. I met a man named Joao (Portuguese for “John”) with whom I discussed my grandfather, and spoke with a man named Bee about Aboriginal affairs as he had a T-shirt on with a distinctive design.

Comments