Ron Adams ‘Making a Mould for a Mountain’ at Draw Space Newtown

I went to this opening with Christine and Yianni and got there early on the crowded train to Parramatta. Adams uses either geometric lines or surreal drawing to convey meaning and this was a retrospective going back to the nineties.

The ones in the photo (there is a series of them, in different colours) was painted in 2003 and they reminded Christine and me of 70s posters. I was put in mind of a series of posters featuring brutalist buildings that I used to see (not that long ago) advertised on Twitter (before the name change) for sale. Some readers will know that I’m a big fan of brutalism in architecture.

Adams also uses words in his work, notably a large painting done in the 90s. The mentioned painting (apologies the room sheets weren’t for taking away and I didn’t snap a photo) also uses geometric lines.

We met the artist in the gallery, which is a not-for-profit. Yianni got a parking spot on Station Street so afterward we walked down the street to the car and went elsewhere for more art (see next post).

Comments