Art Atrium show Andrew Tomkins Sat

I popped into this gallery two days ago to catch a talk with the artist. I think his works are very beautiful but they work better when more abstract. I think the one about Juukan Gorge doesn't quite come off as if you don't know the title it's hard to work out that it depicts a cave.

In the talk Tomkins revealed how he'd come from building industry to art. I can see how his experience has informed his art practice, the works are very laboooour-intensive. Pardt of his process includes cutting film and he said that for one work this can take up to five days to complete. 

Many of his works have a background layer of board covered in cement render. On top of this and spaced different distances away from it is a layer of Perspex with the architectural film plastered to it. He also sometimes uses ink and watercolour to achieve the affects he aims for.

I met Mark and Bernadette at the show and we had a chat outside before they went off to Flinders Street Gallery to catch another opening. I would've gone but had been so busy in recent days that I needed a breather.

Comments