Marco Luccio at Tiliqua Tiliqua

I popped into this gallery to drop a couple of items off and took in the show of this artist who is a brilliant draughtsman. The texture and subtlety of his works is astounding and I felt transported to a foreign city.

In some of his works, like the one pictured above he draws on odd materials, in this case old postcards. This gives his work a contemporary feel but also grounds it in the past. Luccio was born in Italy and has evidently retained a sense of place that anchors him in that country.

I was glad to have the opportunity to catch this show by a significant artist working today in Australia. I noticed on xthe table in the centre of the room a newspaper article from 'La Fiamma' an outlet based in Luccio's country of birth. Having studied Italian I was able to read it briefly and took away some ideas about how people over there think about this bilocal artist.

Comments