Catherine Hourihan 'New York Dreaming' show opening in Surry Hills

After 6pm I jumped on the bus (which obligingly arrived soon after I got to the stop) and then a crowded train to make my way to Surry Hills for the opening of Catherine Hourihan’s ‘New York Dreaming’ show.

I spoke with two Jameses and a man named John who is a chemist and who has worked in SE Asia in industrial settings. I also bumped into artist Bernadette Smith whose show I wrote about earlier this year on this blog, and she evinced a willingness to come along to other events so we tentatively locked in Sunday week for the National Art School graduates’ show.

Hourihan’s paintings are reminiscent of de Chirico but with a contemporary twist, and a friend of hers kindly went around collecting email addresses from guests so that they could be contacted after the event. Hourihan is also a photographer and I saw some of her prints in a folder on a window sill, they were quite simple with a minimal palette and strong focus. The paintings are also dream-like, as you can see in the photo.

Comments