Fisher's Ghost Award

I went to this event with Sophie Gee, who’d one weekend taken a class for Esag. I’d booked two tickets to the Fisher’s Ghost Award but Simon, who had a painting among the finalists, already had a ticket when I hurriedly booked.

The drive out at rush hour wasn’t too bad, actually it went fairly fast apart from a few holdups on the motorway, we parked next to the gallery and had time before Simon and his friends arrived to look around at the 300-or-so finalists.


One woman we met was Gabrielle Courtenay whose painting, ‘The Guardian’ caught Sophie’s eye, and I took the opportunity of making a snapshot with the artist (above).

There were hundreds of people (see below). Staff wandered around with trays full of canapes and a drinks table was set up to one side of the entryway.


Here’s Simon and me in front of his painting titled ‘We could be in love together’, which is made from glitter and polystyrene, the hearts stick out like a cartoon. I was reminded of ‘Who Framed Roger Rabbit’.


Another painting that caught my eye was Zoe Lawson’s ‘Otherwise and elsewhere they speak’ (see below). There was a range of styles and methods of artmaking, it was a bit dizzy-making.


They awarded the prizes after a Welcome to country. At the close of the evening a group of us wandered over to the Catholic Club but Sophie didn’t have her photo ID with her so the two of us got back in the RAV4 and drove to Sydney. I failed to get the motorway entrance once and almost missed it a second time but we made it back from the periurban zone.

Comments